Subject: Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:04:11 -0500

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 01:58:35PM -0700, Michael Kelley wrote:
>The main reason for this mailing on this list is not only am I new to 
>CyGwin but also I am am completely unfamiliar with  Cygwin's originating 
>platform (which I have been led to believe is Linux).

Cygwin is an implementation of UNIX-over-Windows.  It is not necessarily
Linux.  It does use GNU tools, though, so it is similar to Linux.

>I hoped that You 
>who know could send me to places that were more relavent to Cygwin than 
>to Linux.

We who know try to keep the Cygwin web page up-to-date with whatever
information we have available.

>I want to learn to use Cygwin to it's fullest.
>
>Where can I get the "How To's" and "What Are's" of Cygwin??

If they aren't available on the web page, then they probably don't exist.
Have you tried playing with the cygwin environment?  Seriously.  The best
way to learn anything on a computer is to play.

>I have a basic understanding of C and come from the Mainframe & Windows 
>environments. I'm not ready to jump straight into Linux/Unix so I see a 
>great chance to learn using Cygwin.

If you're interested in learning about linux/unix, then your best bet is to
do a to do a google.com search.  Since Cygwin is intended for people who
are already familiar with UNIX, there is no effort made on UNIX tutorials
for Cygwin.

As an analogy, asking for tutorials for UNIX in a Cygwin mailing list is somewhat
like asking for a detailed of French history from a Quebec native.  Quebec is
certainly a French-speaking province but it may not be the best place to gain
an understanding about France.

>Where should someone who doesn't understand the difference between gcc 
>and g++ go to learn what they've got?

The documentation.  "info gcc" or "info g++".

>Where should I have gone to find out about using the & when issuing a 
>bash command?

Dunno.  Maybe some kind of mailing list.  Check out deja.com.  comp.unix.shell
is one newsgroup that deals with bash.

>Basics & beginnings .......
>
>How's about a Newbies mailing list? Where those of us who have NO CLUE 
>can go to learn.

As I said, Cygwin is not intended to be a beginners entry into the wonderful
world of UNIX.  If you are interested in learning about aspects of UNIX,
check out www.oreilly.com (the site appears to be down now, unfortunately)
for a number of books about UNIX.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple