Subject: Re: inetutils-1.3.2-10 on Cygwin 1.1.8-2
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:03:43 -0500

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 10:36:15AM -0800, Andrew Chang wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>Thanks for creating the cygwin project, it is a very useful
>product.

I appreciate your appreciation, but I didn't create the project.
It predates my activities by at least two years.  The project was
created by a former Cygnus employee, Steve Chamberlain.  It was
sheparded along by various other ex-Cygnus employees like Jason
Molenda, Jeremy Allison, and most notably, Geoffrey Noer.

I started working on Cygwin for Cygnus in April of 1998 after having
been a net contributor for about a year.  DJ Delorie joined in July
1998.  I became manager of the Cygwin project in 1998.  Geoff left
the project sometime in early 1999, and Corinna joined Red Hat
on April 1, 2000 after also being a prolific net contributor.

DJ has recently moved into the GCC group but Corinna and I remain.

Cygwin is, of course, also supported by a number of selfless external
contributors who don't get paid to work on it (not that I actually
get paid to do any programming, but that's another issue...).

>I seem to hit a rshd bug, am wondering if anyone can help:
>
>I was trying install cygwin rshd recently, It seems to work.
>except for one strange behavior: under the rshd
>environment, the winsock2 gethostbyname() interface will return
>WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND. It works fine if I  run the same code
>under rlogind or locally. (The application I am running is
>a very simple (20 lines of C code, no GUI) winsock application,
>it is not linked to the cygwin dll.
>
>I found the following message on web.
>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00743.html
>
>which seems to indicate rshd have some winsock related problem.
>I am wondering if it had been fixed.

This is addressed to me, but I know very little about rshd.  It's
not my area of expertise.  Maybe someone else here in the cygwin
mailing list can help.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple