Subject: Re: time to download
From: Warren Young <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin-L <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 02:06:21 -0700

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
> 
> If you do download some minimal set though and you have any trouble using
> Cygwin, the first thing you should do is download and install the rest of
> the packages ...

I suppose that's fine for the lucky folk behind a big pipe, but Cygwin
these days has added several packages that no user will need to make
their system work: they should only be downloaded on an as-needed
basis.  Examples: openssh, squid, mutt, perl, zip/unzip, ncftp...  These
are all useful packages, of course, but they're "leaf nodes" on the
Cygwin dependency tree.

On this note, it might be useful to have two vetted configurations,
"minimal user" and "minimal developer", which each do what you'd
expect.  The third would be "custom", which would take you to the
current package selection screen.  I think we could get "minimal user"
down to 5 MB or so.  Certainly less than 10.
--                                                   _
= 'Net Address: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent | / \  ASCII Ribbon
= ICBM Address: 36.82740N, 108.02040W, alt. 1714m | \ /  Campaign
=                                                 |  X   Against
= Chance favors the prepared mind.                | / \  HTML Mail

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple