Subject: RE: ksh93? -- also u/win question & sfio
From: "Christoph Rippel" <[email-masked]>
To: "Dr. Volker Zell" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:41:16 -0800

>     Christoph> Don't know if this is relevant but it is possible to compile
>     Christoph> sfio-2000 under cygwin (not the threaded version of course) 
>     Christoph> and almost all of the sfio tests actually succeeded (a couple
>     Christoph> of month ago). The license is BSD style if I remember correctly.
>     Christoph> The url is  www.research.att.com/sw/tools/sfio .
Hm,
> Only one test failed:
on my machine 
> treserve.c:
>      Failed
> 
>     Christoph> Christoph
> 
> Ciao
>   Volker
- guess I have a breakin;-)

FWIW here are some benchmarks results (a PII-laptop) of the
stdio benchmark suite that come with sfio-2000 (I had to 
disable 2 seek tests because they crashed the sfio version).  

time.sfio 
func    real    user    sys     u+s     size    Kbytes  Kbytes/s
wrlarge 96.63   0.33    8.50    8.83    20000K  20000   2264
rdlarge 5.85    4.00    1.67    5.67    20000K  20000   3529
wrsmall 133.68  4.00    11.52   15.52   20000K  20000   1288
rdsmall 74.60   7.02    1.35    8.37    20000K  20000   2390
copy    269.23  4.00    14.52   18.52   40000K  40000   2160
sfmove  276.73  0.33    6.33    6.67    40000K  40000   6000
putc    60.75   5.52    4.52    10.03   10000K  10000   996
getc    5.33    3.67    0.17    3.83    10000K  10000   2608
puts    79.28   5.67    7.50    13.17   100000L 9765    741
gets    123.02  4.18    0.67    4.85    100000L 9765    2013
sfgetr  4.67    3.83    0.85    4.68    100000L 9765    2085
revgets 7.18    3.85    3.17    7.02    100000L 9765    1391
printf  11.18   5.33    0.67    6.00    25000L  1752    292
scanf   6.83    5.83    0.00    5.83    25000L  1752    300
elapse  1155.48 57.57   61.75   119.32  0E      0       0

time.stdio (normal stdio i.e libcygin.a version 1.1.8 )
func    real    user    sys     u+s     size    Kbytes  Kbytes/s
wrlarge 111.32  2.33    18.52   20.85   20000K  20000   959
rdlarge 7.18    3.17    3.83    7.00    20000K  20000   2857
wrsmall 108.32  8.52    21.53   30.05   20000K  20000   665
rdsmall 34.38   4.33    4.35    8.68    20000K  20000   2303
copy    241.68  6.02    28.70   34.72   40000K  40000   1152
sfmove  0.17    0.00    0.17    0.17    0K      0       0
putc    75.78   23.70   10.68   34.38   10000K  10000   290
getc    27.87   18.52   3.00    21.52   10000K  10000   464
puts    58.25   6.85    10.68   17.53   100000L 9765    556
gets    8.35    4.67    2.52    7.18    100000L 9765    1359
sfgetr  0.00    0.00    0.00    0.00    0L      0       -1
revgets 15.85   7.18    6.17    13.35   100000L 9765    731
printf  17.70   14.35   2.17    16.52   25000L  1752    106
scanf   6.50    6.18    0.17    6.35    25000L  1752    276
elapse  713.35  105.82  112.48  218.30  0E      0       0

It is possible to compile many (well I tried only a few of
course) programs with a small amount of work with  the sfio
version of stdio instead of the regular stdio in libcygwin.

Christoph

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple