Subject: Re: firewall ports
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:00:26 -0800

Hi folks,

On 7 Feb 2001, at 19:07, the Illustrious Anon1 Anon2 wrote:

> Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an ipchains or 
> ipfwadm, to cygwin?

	Why?  If you're using Windows, you should probably use a 
windows based firewall, even though you do have cygwin 
installed.  In fact, it doesn't seem to matter much whether 
cygwin is installed or not.
	In most cases, especially when dealing with firewalls, it is a 
better choice to use the one designed for the OS, otherwise you 
could run into some major conflicts between cygwin and the 
platform that you are using.  I won't even get into the security 
conflict considerations.

> It would be nice to have a free, low maintenance port 
> filter (I hate zonealarm)

	Check out eSafe, if it's really important to you.  Just 
remember, the firewall maintenance aspect can get much higher 
quite quickly depending on what you decide to do with your 
installation.

	Peace,

		Paul G.
> 
> Joe
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
> 
> 
> --
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> 
> 

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple