Subject: Problem running bash from sshd again (was: Re: Updated: bash-2.04-7)
From: Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 23:07:51 +0100

* Corinna Vinschen
| I've updated the version of bash in cygwin/latest to 2.04-7.

This version gets rid of the annoying SEGVS when running from sshd
which were reported earlier.  Also most programs now deliver their
output without having to use `ssh -t' on the remote side.

However, I get strange problems with this new version of
bash/cygwin1.dll when started from sshd (just downloaded and installed
all the new stuff from franken.de today).

When logging in via ssh from a remote system, I have problems cd'ing
to c:/ and reading files in my HOME:

    Unix% ssh charon
    ralf@charon's password: 
    Fanfare!!!
    You are successfully logged in to this server!!!

    ralf@CHARON ~
    $ 

    ralf@CHARON ~
    $ ls -la
    total 0
    drwxrwxrwx   2 ralf     Kein            0 Feb  6 21:01 .
    drwxrwxrwx   5 remote   Kein            0 Feb  6 21:00 ..
    -rw-------   1 ralf     Kein          115 Feb  6 21:48 .bash_history
[1]
    ralf@CHARON ~
    $ cd c:/
[2]
    ralf@CHARON c
    $ ls
    ls: .: No such file or directory

[1] There _are_ more files than just .bash_history in my ~.

[2] The prompt does not show the usual /cygdrive/c in this case, but
    only `c' (without slashes). Usually it is `ralf@CHARON /cygdrive/c'.

There are strange interactions between locally running bash'es and
remote ssh/bash under the same user account:

- This problem *does* occur when logging in via ssh from a remote
  system as a non-administrator user while no local bash is running

- This problem does *not* occur in a remote ssh-bash *if* a local bash
  is running on the NT system while logging in via ssh

- This problem does *not* occur in a local bash on the NT system as
  the same non-administrator user if no remote connection is open

- This problem *does* occur in a local bash on the NT system as the
  same non-administrator user when starting the local bash *while* the
  remote connection is open

- All of these problems do not occur with an older installation of
  cygwin.

Further info:
- ssh is set up to allow different users (started via srvrany under
  the SYSTEM account), with changes to config files as required.

- the shell is changed to /bin/bash in /etc/password for all accounts

Ooops.
R'

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple