Subject: Re: [OT] #!/usr/bin/env bash -vx
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: "Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z" <[email-masked]>, " Mumit Khan" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:41:57 +0200

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:18:28 -0000, Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z
    <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> This is not exclusive to cygwin, but maybe someone here can help me. I put
> 
> #!/usr/bin/env bash -vx
> this doesn't work - I get:
> 
> $ qwe
> /usr/bin/env: bash -vx: No such file or directory

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:17:56 -0600 (CST), Mumit Khan
    <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> It's the way env works, especially in conjunction with '#!'. 

Well, It is not env fault. The problem is the activation of a file
with the magic `#!'. The invocation is different among UNIXes, but it
won't do what you want on any of them. On Linux and Cygwin (and may be
other GNU systems) this magic produce the following effect:
argv[0] = string after the #! with whitespaces striped.
argv[1] = rest of the line AS IS (whitespaces striped from both sides)
srgv[2] = name of the invoked file (relative or absolute depending on
          how the file is called by the executing command).
On DG/UX and Solaris (as reported by Bob McGowan <[email-masked]>)
argv[1] is the 2nd string (between spaces, AS IS), the test of the line
is ignored.

You can easily check it by changing the 1st line to  #! /bin/echo ....

Ehud.

-- 
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544
     @    @ @    @ @  @@    (USA)  Fax  and  voice  mail:  1-815-5509341
     @    @ @    @ @    @        Better     Safe     Than     Sorry
 http://www.simonwiesel.co.il    mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple