Subject: ACCESS_VIOLATION when attempting to run sshd
From: "JQ Johnson" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:40:28 -0800

Several people have reported that they got an ACCESS_ERROR running any
command via sshd.  I installed cygwin 1.1.7 yesterday, and found the same
problem.  My environment:  NT 4.0 sp5 workstation, cygwin 1.1.7, with
current cygwin software as of this week.

In more detail, the symptom is that although sshd may run fine from the
command line, when you run it as a service you find that you can connect
to your NT box, but that every command that is run via ssh produces a core
dump and a Dr Watson dialog box.

I think I've found a solution:  it appears, at least on my system, that
the userid running the sshd service must have the "Log on locally" user
right in addition to "act as part of the operating system", "increase
quotas" (is this really needed?  I haven't checked), and "replace a
process level token".

I'd be interested in learning whether this change clears up other people's
problems as well.

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:[email-masked]
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple