Subject: Re: Distributing cygwin1.dll with a GPL program
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:05:07 -0500

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 04:11:40PM -0800, Hari Nair wrote:
>I am the author of a program called Xplanet, which is distributed under
>the terms of the GPL.  I can successfully compile and run xplanet on
>windows now thanks to Cygwin.  I'd like to distribute cygwin1.dll and
>cygjpeg6b.dll along with the windows binary.  It's not clear to me what
>my responsibilities are regarding the source code for these libraries.
>From searching through the mail archives it seems that it would suffice
>to have the files
>
>cygwin-1.1.7-1-src.tar.gz
>and
>jpeg-6b-3-src.tar.gz
>
>which I downloaded from a cygwin mirror, available for
>download on my website.
>
>If this is the right thing to do, how about adding it to the FAQ?  If
>it's not the right thing to do, then what is the right thing to do?
>And can you add it to the FAQ?  :)

If you are distributing the Cygwin DLL, you need to distribute the
sources of the Cygwin DLL under the terms of the GPL.  If you have not
read the GPL, you should. You should also read the "Licensing Terms" at
the Cygwin web site. Yes, the sources are in cygwin-*-src.tar.gz.

If you are distributing jpeg, you'll have to use whatever license
it uses.  This is not necessarily the GPL.  The sources for jpeg are,
as you have surmised, in the jpeg-whatever-src.tar.gz file.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple