Subject: Re: Confirm or deny.
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:02:36 -0500

At 03:57 PM 1/29/2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
> > 
> > ...  There is no code in Cygwin which
> > checks the type of shell that's running.  ...
> > 
>
>Not totally true.  In theory you should notice little difference. 
>However, Cygwin does know if it's executing from cmd.exe/command.com and
>takes some measure to ensure that the format for spawns are correct for
>that shell.  You will also see differences wrt binary mode vs text mode
>processing.

Right, but as far as Lowell's vague question is concerned, the answer 
is there is no difference, unless he can qualify what it means to react
"Unixishly in a cygwin window and Dosishly in a Dos/Win98 window".  From
the user's perspective, the Cygwin tools don't react differently in one
shell versus another.  I choose not to assume that he's interested in 
details of the implementation that should make using the tools transparent 
no matter what the shell is.  Whether my assumption is any better than yours 
is something only Lowell can answer.  

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple