Subject: Re: setup
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:36:37 -0500

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:16:12AM -0800, Jim Balter wrote:
>In other words, you aren't interested in the *content*.  You are happy
>to not fix a problem just because of the attitude of the person who
>reported it.  That's what I mean by a lack of inner moral strength.
>
>And if you folks had a sensible bug reporting mechanism instead of your
>bug submission page pointing at a mailing list, you wouldn't be getting
>something that you consider "inappropriate".

A few points:

1) No one has said that they wouldn't consider your changes.  We
   were trying to point out that an actual contribution is a much
   more compelling argument than a sarcastic insistence on getting
   things changed.  Our usual response to non severe bug reports is
   to suggest that the person take a stab at fixing it themselves.  You
   are inexplicably offended by this.

2) What kind of "moral strength" does it take to be polite?  You are
   talking to human beings who have supplied you with a comprehensive
   package for free, for use on your system.  While it would be nice if
   we could all put aside your obvious problems with polite communication
   I have to confess that I do fail miserably at filtering out words that
   were obviously intended to anger when they are associated with a bug
   report.

3) What kind of "moral strength" is involved in using something like cygwin
   which is offered for free and contributing nothing back but snide complaints?

4) "We folks" have considered setting up a bug reporting mechanism, actually.
   We'll probably get around to it at some time.  However, it is unlikely that
   your bug submission would have gotten a better response given your style.

>Since I'm not getting responses of any value to me, I will simply
>forward additional ones back to the list without comment.

Thanks for stating this publicly.  I'll be contacting your ISP about your
antisocial behavior.

Ta ta, Mr. "Moral Strength".

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple