Subject: Re: setup
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:10:40 -0500

[Sorry for the duplicate.  I forgot to cc [email-masked]]

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:06:28AM -0800, Jim Balter wrote:
>Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Jim Balter wrote:
>>>I have a symlink from /bin to /usr/bin.  Setup tells me that it is
>>>going to delete /usr/bin to put a directory there.  Aside from that
>>>being a dumb thing to do when it is already a symlink to a directory,
>>>there isn't even a cancel button on the popup.  Of course, if there
>>>were a cancel button, I suppose it would just exit the program like the
>>>cancel button on the download popup does, instead of going to the
>>>previous state like any *sensible* program would do.  I can't imagine
>>>that this thing goes through any sort of QA; certainly none of the QA
>>>engineers I know would allow this sort of user interface to pass.
>>
>>If *you* can do it better, then please *do*.  Submit a patch, complete
>>the assignment forms and your patch will be gratefully considered.  Oh,
>>and don't forget to have *your* QA engineers test it.
>
>In other words, you aren't really interested in user feedback or
>improving your creations.

It's not exactly Earnie's creation.  And, we do listen to user feedback but
this is a free software project.  You downloaded something at zero cost to
yourself.  You could consider actually donating more than snide remarks.
 
>> Especially, if you plan to use the same tool to upgrade your
>> software.
>
>I had actually hoped that the tool might have gotten better in
>subsequent releases, but I was careful to write a script to restore my
>configuration after running setup in case it idioticly destroyed it
>again.  I've been programming for 35 years and I know how to deal with
>crap, but I don't have to like it or approve of it.  You of course can
>feel free to ignore this because I'm obviously a troublemaker with an
>attitude, but if you had any inner moral strength you would add this to
>your bug list.  After all, that's the link I followed.

"moral strength"???  "programming for 35 years"???  Heh.

FYI, if you had presented your original problem in a more restrained
fashion you probably would have received a better response.  Instead you
resorted to sarcasm and inneuendo.  Are you really surprised at the
response you received?  I imagine that these are common tools in your
arsenal and that you have received this kind of response fairly
frequently in your illustrious 35 years of programming service.

Btw, labelling someone's ideas as "foolish" is also not going to win
you any supporters and is inappropriate for this mailing list.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple