Subject: Re: Questions about Cygwin's setup...
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:49:08 -0800

On 24 Jan 2001, at 21:17, the Illustrious DJ Delorie wrote:

> 
> > > *       Does Setup remove old files during update?
> > 
> > Yes.
> 
> OK, I'm going to qualify this.  It does remove installed files that are
> obsoleted by new versions of packages.  It does not remove the tarballs
> corresponding to old installations when new tarballs are downloaded.

	In other words, if you install from the internet, the tarballs are not 
removed by setup.exe, and instead are left wherever you started 
setup.exe from.

	(I always install from the internet, seems to work best -- if I choose 
to eliminate the tarballs, a simple windows "deltree" from an msdos 
prompt will take them all out for as long as they are all under the 
same "parent" directory.)

	For example:

		Installing from internet after downloading "setup.exe" to directory 
"<driveRef:\>temp\CygwinSetup" will yield all the latest tarballs and 
_overwrite_ any _existing_ tarballs and add any locally non-existent 
tarballs to "<driveRef:\>temp\CygwinSetup", depending on configuration 
of "setup.exe".  When local installation is initialized by "setup.exe", 
"setup.exe" assumes "<driveRef:\>temp\CygwinSetup" as _local_ 
installation directory.

	Peace,

		Paul G.
> 
> --
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> 
> 

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple