Subject: Re: cvs + win9x
From: "Robert A McDougall" <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:45:40 EST

Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>
> Robert A McDougall wrote:
> > 
> >     to use the new cygwin cvs on win95, the cvs repository needs to be
> >     binary-mounted; otherwise, gdbm gets confused
> 
> Could you give more details?  If true, this is a bug in either cvs or
> gdbm and I'd like to fix it.

Some examples:

*   An attempted check-in to a new text-mounted repository gets:

        modules$ cvs ci -m"testing"
        cvs commit: Examining .
        Checking in modules;
        /cygdrive/c/home/rad/srv/cvs/CVSROOT/modules,v  <--  modules
        new revision: 1.2; previous revision: 1.1
        done
        cvs commit: Rebuilding administrative file database
        gdbm fatal: read error

    and modifies `$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/modules,v' but not
    `$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/modules'.  With the repository mounted in binary
    mode, checkout and checkin work fine.

*   From one old repository, when text-mounted, using the "-r" flag with
    any cvs command (well, any of the few that I've tried) provokes

        gdbm fatal: read error
        
    In particular, when exporting with "-r", the read error message is
    printed, and no working files are checked out, but the
    administrative files in `CVS' are (!?), including the rarely seen
    `CVS/Tag'.  Exporting with "-D" OTOH works fine.

    Now binary-mounting the repository, "export -r" provokes a message

        ' is missing '='ax error in /srv/cvs/CVSROOT/config: line '

    but everything seems to work fine.

*   Another old repository works fine in text mode.  In binary mode, it
    complains on a variety of commands that

        ' is missing '='ax error in /srv/cvs/CVSROOT/config: line '

    but everything seems to work fine.

*   There was some message posted earlier about the need to use
    "conv2gdbm" under some circumstances.  It didn't seem to apply,
    but I tried it anyway.  All that happened was a message: 

        dbm file not opened

FWIW, here's the "cygcheck" output:

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Wed Jan 24 12:14:58 2001

Win9X Ver 4.10 build 67766446  A 

Path:	/lf9045/bin
	/usr/local/bin
	/usr/bin
	/bin
	/cygdrive/z/PUBLIC
	/cygdrive/y/BATCH
	/cygdrive/x/OFFICE30
	/cygdrive/w/LF9045/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/NOVELL/CLIENT32
	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS
	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/GP
	/cygdrive/c/OPT/EMACS/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/OPT/TEXMF/MIKTEX/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/SYMANTEC/PCANYW~1
	/cygdrive/c/OPT/PERL/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/TCL/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/OPT/VIM/VIM56
	//c/bin
	.
	./bin

SysDir: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
WinDir: C:\WINDOWS

PWD = `/cygdrive/c/home/rad/misc'
USER = `mcdougall'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
HOME = `/cygdrive/c/home/rad'

PROMPT = `$p$g'
TZ = `EST5'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM'
PAGER = `/usr/bin/less.exe'
!C: = `C:\opt\cygwin\bin'
NWLANGUAGE = `English'
CMDLINE = `bash --login -i'
HOSTNAME = `MCDOUGALL'
GPFROOT = `W:\LF9045'
WINDIR = `C:\WINDOWS'
NIC = `006097C9870D'
WINBOOTDIR = `C:\WINDOWS'
PS1 = `\W$ '
BLASTER = `A220 I5 D1 T4 P300'
RCSINIT = `-zLT'
GPFLIB = `W:\LF9045\LIB'
VISUAL = `/usr/bin/vim'
LESS = `-iC'
MACHTYPE = `i686-pc-cygwin'
AWKPATH = `/bin:./bin'
OLDPWD = `/cygdrive/c/home/rad/misc/modules'
BASH_ENV = `/cygdrive/c/home/rad/.bashrc'
TEMP = `/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/TEMP'
!W: = `W:\Lf9045\Bin'
WINDOWS_LOGIN = `0'
TMP = `/tmp'
!X: = `X:\OFFICE30'
SHLVL = `1'
!Y: = `Y:\BATCH'
!Z: = `Z:\public'
CVSEDITOR = `/usr/bin/vim.exe'
SHELL = `/bin/sh'
CVSROOT = `//c/home/rad/srv/cvs'
HOSTTYPE = `i686'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
TERM = `cygwin'
VIM = `/usr/share/vim'
_ = `/usr/bin/cygcheck'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\&Programs\Cygnus Solutions
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `C:\opt\cygwin'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
  (default) = `C:/opt/cygwin/bin'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `C:/opt/cygwin/lib'
  flags = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/srv/cvs
  (default) = `C:\srv\cvs'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D

a:  fd           N/A    N/A                    
c:  hd  FAT32  19525Mb  63% CP    UN           AGEC041800
d:  fd           N/A    N/A                    
e:  cd           N/A    N/A                    
f:  net OS2     7152Mb  86% CP          FC     SYS
g:  net OS2     4000Mb  57% CP          FC     APP
h:  net OS2     7152Mb  86% CP          FC     SYS
k:  net OS2     9938Mb  69% CP          FC     DAT
w:  net OS2     4000Mb  57% CP          FC     APP
x:  net OS2     4000Mb  57% CP          FC     APP
y:  net OS2     7152Mb  86% CP          FC     SYS
z:  net OS2     7152Mb  86% CP          FC     SYS

C:\opt\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  user    textmode
C:\opt\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  user    textmode
C:\opt\cygwin  /        user    textmode
C:\srv\cvs  /srv/cvs  user    binmode

Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\find.exe
Found: c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\find.exe
Warning: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\find.exe hides c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\find.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: z:\PUBLIC\ls.exe
Warning: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\ls.exe hides z:\PUBLIC\ls.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: C:\opt\cygwin\bin\sh.exe

   56k 2000/12/03 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygbz21.0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygbz21.0.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/20 18:53
   81k 2000/12/05 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygitcl30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitcl30.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/25 20:43
   35k 2000/12/05 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygitk30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitk30.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/25 20:43
  390k 2001/01/18 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/17 23:44
    5k 2001/01/18 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
   10k 2001/01/18 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/17 23:44
  623k 2000/12/05 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/25 20:43
   18k 2000/10/23 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/22 21:26
   14k 2000/10/23 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygintl.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygintl.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/23 14:02
   45k 2000/10/22 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygjbig1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjbig1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/22 18:06
  119k 2000/10/23 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjpeg6b.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/22 19:58
  162k 2000/10/23 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygpng2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpng2.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/22 19:40
   82k 2001/01/21 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygform5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygform5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 15:39
   53k 2001/01/21 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygmenu5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmenu5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 15:39
  414k 2001/01/21 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses++5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 15:40
  299k 2001/01/21 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 15:38
   34k 2001/01/21 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygpanel5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpanel5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 15:38
   17k 2001/01/07 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cyghistory4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyghistory4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/6 23:34
  108k 2001/01/07 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygreadline4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygreadline4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/6 23:34
  243k 2000/10/23 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygtiff3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtiff3.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/22 20:14
   41k 2000/11/20 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-noX4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXpm-noX4.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/19 21:41
   45k 2000/11/20 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-X4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXpm-X4.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/19 21:45
   49k 2000/10/23 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygz.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/22 19:22
  611k 2000/12/25 C:\opt\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/12/25 12:39
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1001
        dll minor: 7
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 31
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix: 
        build date: Mon Dec 25 12:39:48 EST 2000
        shared id: cygwin1S3

  429k 1998/11/10 c:\bin\cygwinb19.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/10/29 18:33
  429k 1998/11/10 \bin\cygwinb19.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/10/29 18:33
Use -h to see help about each section

#   vi:comments=nb\:>,fb\:*
c

-- 
robert mcdougall  .  center for global trade analysis

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple