Subject: Re: 1.1.7:mount and ls problem
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:56:01 +0200

>          cd /
>          mkdir e
>          mount e: /e
> All is well -- e shows up in both an ls ( as e) and mount (as e:  /e).
> 
>          mount f: /f
> I get the error:
>          mount: warning - /f does not exist
> but mount shows
>          f:   f/ . . .
> and ls doesn't show f.
> 
> If I do mkdir f, I get:
>          mkdir: cannot make directory `f': File exists
 
On UNIX systems, you can NOT mount on non-existing directory.

I think Cygwin can adopt this behavior and refuse to mount when the
directory is missing. There are 2 ways to accomplish this:
    1. Create the directory (silently or with a message).
    2. Produce an  error and do not mount.
The 2nd approach has the possible problem for mounts that was done
previously (saved in the registry) - the mount directory may be erased
by a non Cygwin program. In that case I will produce an error message
every time the DLL try to use this mount, and ignore it (but not
delete it from the registry).

I don't know the reasons of the Cygwin developers for choosing the
current behavior but I'm sure they had something in mind if they
decided to deviate from standard UNIX practice.

BTW. I adhere to UNIX practice, I mount only on existing directories
     and always use the -s switch (no private mounts on UNIX).

Ehud.

-- 
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544
     @    @ @    @ @  @@    (USA)  Fax  and  voice  mail:  1-815-5509341
     @    @ @    @ @    @        Better     Safe     Than     Sorry
 http://www.simonwiesel.co.il    mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple