Subject: Re: [OT] Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:48:23 -0800

Hi folks,

On 23 Jan 2001, at 14:56, the Illustrious Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > 
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:21:47PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > >David Feustel wrote:
> > >>MKS is now offering a package of header files and dlls that permit
> > >>compilation of Unix software with VS 6.  I only found out about this
> > >>package a few days ago so I have no experience with it.  MKS offers
> > >>a 30-day evaluation of the software on CDROM.
> > >>
> > >>See http://www.mks.com
> > >
> > >This has nothing at all to do with Cygwin.  Please don't advertise
> > >proprietary software on this list.  If you want to continue to enjoy
> > >the Cygwin list please take my advice.
> > 
> > That's a little harsh, Earnie.  This was a direct request to a query.
> > It's actually of some interest to us here, too, since if MKS can do
> > this that means we can too.
> > 
> 
> Ok, sufficiently put back in my place.  As far as our being able to do
> that too, wouldn't that just require building Cygwin with VC++?

	In fact, if you set your VS to Ansi Standard, there would be no 
problems except with the MS standards(not sure exactly how these are 
defined for their compiler, only know that they do provide an option 
for (strict) Ansi Standard...however, and this is fairly typical of MS, 
they are not inclined to support ANSI standards unless those standards 
in some way support their proprietary standards (I am remembering back 
to the VS4 and earlier MS standards -- it may be that MS is now more 
supportive of Ansi standards than they were...though I have yet to see 
this with my own eyes; under VS6, they did not support Ansi standards 
without the developer having to reset their MS compiler).

	Peace,
	
		Paul G.

ps. Was almost forced to recompile Cygwin b20 using VS6...not fun, 
believe me.  Finally, it became clear, it was far easier to simply 
download b20 binaries and use those instead.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple