Subject: su & login
From: Gerrit le Roux <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:03:03 +0000

Hi

I am very impressed with Cygwin. I went through the User Guide, and also
found most of my questions answered in the FAQ.

I used mkpasswd and mkgroup to create the local users and re-direct that
into /etc/passwd and /etc/group. My problem is that I can't use su or
login to login as another (local) user. I need to do that for DB Admin
work (on the same machine), and I don't want to log in (from NT) as the
DB Admin user (I don't have access), as this is only a local account, my
user account is also a domain account, using the same password. (I need
to see the rest of the network, logged in using  my own username, for
various
reasons.)

Whenever I tried to use login I get:

login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

It doesn't matter which shell I use (/bin/sh gives the same error), but
I get logged in as that user if I used the other username to log onto NT
- by running Cygwin it automatically logs me on as the user I am on NT.

Also, I tried su:

su: cannot set user id: Not owner.

I am able to su with the same id as what I'm logged in as (bit useless,
but it shows that su is working)

It does check the password, because if I type in the wrong password, I
get " login incorrect"

The same happens with my root user, and Administrator. The only
deviation is when using su ( and it assumes root) , then
it tells me the password is incorrect. But I can log into NT with that
password.

It would be highly appreciated if you could suggest something.

Great product!!! I really like the mapping of drives

Regards

Gerrit le Roux

Ascential Software

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple