Subject: NTL Version 5.0c & Cygwin tools
From: Richard Graham <[email-masked]>
To: Victor Shoup <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:22:03 -0800 (PST)

Victor, (& Cygwin'ers)

I wanted to let you know that there is "hiccup" when
building NTL version 5.0c using the Cygwin tools on
my Win98 Dell Laptop.  The only problem I know of is
during the build, the finished library seems to work
fine.

During makefile's "setup2", "MakeGetTime" creates GetTime.c by
checking for the successful compile/link of "TestGetTime".
Under cygwin, "GetTime1.c" which makes calls to sys/resource's
"getrusage" compiles and runs.  Unfortunately, all the values
returned are always "0".  I don't know if that is the intended
behavior, or if perhaps it's just a cygwin empty stub.

However, since "TestGetTime" is created, "GetTime1.c" is copied
to "GetTime.c".  Later, during "setup4" - the Wizard, the first
timing test is essentially an infinite loop since you check
for a minimum elapsed time.

Good News! ...

"GetTime4.c" does seem to work under cygwin so all I had to do
was to manually perform "setup2" by "cp GetTime4.c GetTime.c".
The Wizard then can do its stuff and then ntl.a can be built
and tested.

I have Cc'ed some Cygnus folks to see if they can comment.  I'm
not sure if you want to actually test "TestGetTime" in "setup2"
to see if the returned values are reasonable and usable.

Thanks again for making your NTL public!

Richard Graham

P.S.  I didn't receive notification of 5.0c availability.  Would
      you make sure I'm on the list?  Thanks!
__________________________________________________________________

Example showing problem with Cygwin ...

$ cat TimeTest.C

#include <iostream>
#include <sys/resource.h>

int main()
{
  struct rusage used;

  while (true) {
    getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, &used);
    cout << "used.ru_utime.tv_sec:= " << used.ru_utime.tv_sec << '\n';
    cout << "used.ru_stime.tv_sec:= " << used.ru_stime.tv_sec << '\n';
    cout << "used.ru_utime.tv_usec:= " << used.ru_utime.tv_usec <<
'\n';
    cout << "used.ru_stime.tv_usec:= " << used.ru_stime.tv_usec <<
'\n';
  }

}

rick@W8L05 ~/g++/NTL
$ g++ --version
2.95.2-6

rick@W8L05 ~/g++/NTL
$ g++ -o TimeTest TimeTest.C

rick@W8L05 ~/g++/NTL
$ ./TimeTest
used.ru_utime.tv_sec:= 0
used.ru_stime.tv_sec:= 0
used.ru_utime.tv_usec:= 0
used.ru_stime.tv_usec:= 0
used.ru_utime.tv_sec:= 0
used.ru_stime.tv_sec:= 0
used.ru_utime.tv_usec:= 0
... [forever]

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online!
http://photos.yahoo.com/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple