Subject: Re: Clueless about install
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:38:57 -0500

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 05:28:22PM -0800, Chris Fogelklou wrote:
>Hi Chris,
>
>>>"The Cygwin tools are ports of the popular GNU development tools and
>>>utilities for Windows 95, 98, and NT.  They function by using the Cygwin
>>>library which provides a UNIX-like API on top of the Win32 API."
>
>>>Notice that there is no hint of the words "linux" or "cross-compile" in
>>>this description.
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>In that case, I think I'll un-install.  I already have Borland 5.0 and Visual
>C++ 6.0, and I'm familiar with both, so I don't necessarily need another
>one.  Do you know of a way I can cross-compile for linux on a strictly
>windows machine?  I'm almost out of HD space and I don't really want to
>dual-boot the system.  I used to be able to remotely do it on my college's
>linux machine, but I no longer have access...

>>You can build a C compiler/linker to do this but it is not available by
>>default.  And, it won't be easy if you have no experience doing this.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can, theoretically, build one with the cygwin tools and sources but
I am not aware of any prepackaged cross-compilers out there.  A
google.com search might turn up something, though.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple