Subject: Re: Clueless about install
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:18:04 -0500

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 04:19:09PM -0800, Chris Fogelklou wrote:
>I downloaded the whole thing..  (I think...  The full/part button would
>go bold/not bold depending on how many times I clicked it, so I assumed
>that bold meant full)

The net install of cygwin should require running setup and:

Next
Click on "Install from Internet"
Next
Next
Next
Click on "Direct Connection" (most likely)
Next
Next
Next
Next
Ok

>Now, the icon for cygwin.bat, when run, tells me
>"bad command or file name", so I opened it, and found that it was trying
>to run a program called bash...

That would be an indication that something went wrong with the setup.

>After reading the faq, I found that I probably need to download bash...
>no link, no mention of where it might be...  Shouldn't it be included
>in the full version of the download?

Yes.  Something went wrong in the setup/download.

>Then, I tried to run fileman.exe, just because it sounded like some type
>of file manager...  funny, it tells me that a required dll, cygwin1.dll,
>is missing... hmmm...  thought I just downloaded the cygwin full setup
>program(?!?!)...

Apparently something went wrong with your setup/download.

>Here's another interesting tidbit...  The directory \cygwin\lib contains
>a whole lot of files ending in ".dll.a"...  Am I to assume that I should
>rename these all to .dll?  Shouldn't the setup program have done this
>for me too?

No.  The files are correctly named.

>I would love trial and error, if today were opposite day.  Really, all
>I want to do is cross-compile a C++ .cgi program on my windows '98
>machine so that it will run on my ISP's linux machine...  Please help
>me out!!!

Well, here's the kicker -- cygwin doesn't do that.  You can build a C
compiler/linker to do this but it is not available by default.  And,
it won't be easy if you have no experience doing this.

If you do decide to try cygwin, you should rerun setup.exe without
trying to overcomplicate things (i.e., basically just answer the obvious
questions and hit Next), paying attention to any errors that may crop
up.  If you do see any errors then please send them here.

Btw, this is what you'll get (from the web page):

"The Cygwin tools are ports of the popular GNU development tools and
utilities for Windows 95, 98, and NT.  They function by using the Cygwin
library which provides a UNIX-like API on top of the Win32 API."

Notice that there is no hint of the words "linux" or "cross-compile" in
this description.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple