Subject: Re: AW: documentation archive
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Vladimir G Ivanovic <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:29:51 -0500

Of course, anyone is free to do anything they want and, as long as it works
well for their needs, that's fine.  However, if you do something and have a 
problem and then ask the list, the first response will be to perform the 
operation in the prescribed way.  This is simply to reduce the variations
and determine if the problem is in Cygwin or not.  Also, the recommendations
given are used because they are known to work.  Recommending known working
procedures and discouraging those that don't or are problematic simply cuts
down on the traffic on this list.  So feel free to use whatever tools work
for you in whatever combination you like.  If, however, you find a problem
in your procedure, please verify that it is a problem using the recommended
procedure as well before posting.  This will save us all allot of time and
effort. 

In case its not clear, this response is directed at the reader of this message
as much as the poster!;-)

Thanks,

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

At 02:18 PM 12/20/2000, Vladimir G Ivanovic wrote:
>"EB" == Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>   EB> --- [email-masked] wrote:
>   >> we loaded cgwin-docs_tar.tar, but we can not open it. tar says
>   >> "hmm, seems not to be a tar archive" and winzip read a header with
>   >> 0 byte. Can you help us ?
>   >>
>
>   EB> 1) Don't use Netscape to download your files.
>
>I use Netscape almost exclusively to download files, without problems.
>Sometimes Netscape will automagically decompress the file, but not
>rename it. So all applications that key off of the file name extension
>will be confused. It's a simple matter to rename the file to end in
>".tar". Also, see below.
>
>   EB> 2) Don't use Winzip to explore a cygwin archive file.
>
>I do this as well without problems, although it's not my preferred way
>of exploring a gzipped tar gile. WinZip will ask if it should decompress
>the file to a temporary directory and open it, which it does admirably.
>Also, see below.
>
>   EB> 3) The name of the file should be cygwin-docs.tar.gz
>
>"cygwin-docs.tgz" could work as well. See below.
>
>   EB> Cheers,
>
>I have registered two new file types in Explorer to make my life easier:
>In Tools:Folder Options:File Types, I've added
>   
>   GZ  --> WinZip
>   TGZ --> WinZip 
>
>You might have to do the same in Netscape (Edit:Preferences:Applications).
>
>---Vladimir
>
>Vladimir G. Ivanovic                    http://www.leonora.org/~vladimir
>2770 Cowper St.                                         [email-masked]
>Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014
>
>--
>Want to unsubscribe from this list?
>Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple