Subject: Re: AW: documentation archive
From: Vladimir G Ivanovic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:18:35 -0800

"EB" == Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> writes:

  EB> --- [email-masked] wrote:
  >> we loaded cgwin-docs_tar.tar, but we can not open it. tar says
  >> "hmm, seems not to be a tar archive" and winzip read a header with
  >> 0 byte. Can you help us ?
  >>

  EB> 1) Don't use Netscape to download your files.

I use Netscape almost exclusively to download files, without problems.
Sometimes Netscape will automagically decompress the file, but not
rename it. So all applications that key off of the file name extension
will be confused. It's a simple matter to rename the file to end in
".tar". Also, see below.

  EB> 2) Don't use Winzip to explore a cygwin archive file.

I do this as well without problems, although it's not my preferred way
of exploring a gzipped tar gile. WinZip will ask if it should decompress
the file to a temporary directory and open it, which it does admirably.
Also, see below.

  EB> 3) The name of the file should be cygwin-docs.tar.gz

"cygwin-docs.tgz" could work as well. See below.

  EB> Cheers,

I have registered two new file types in Explorer to make my life easier:
In Tools:Folder Options:File Types, I've added
  
  GZ  --> WinZip
  TGZ --> WinZip 

You might have to do the same in Netscape (Edit:Preferences:Applications).

---Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                    http://www.leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         [email-masked]
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple