Subject: Re: kill and Windows applications
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:20:13 -0800

Hi folks,

On 9 Dec 2000, at 23:38, the Illustrious Scott Glenn wrote:

> 
> 
> kill does not work with Windows PID's as far as I can tell.
> 
> Is there a flag option (ps -W gives you the Windows pids, but
> that doesn't work on kill)?

	Unless that has been added to Cygwin api, no.  NT4 requires 
administrative access to kill a process id.  This is specific to 
NT4 or any of its children (NT4/Win2k).
	Win2k may not care as much, but it will still require 
administrative access to kill a process.  I don't believe that 
the task manager for Win2k may be launched by any but the folks 
with adminstrative access.

	Win9x doesn't have such a thing as administrator, so it might 
be easier to kill a process therein.  However, given the 
architecture of the so-called Win9x "task manager" (invoked by 
pressing ctrl-alt-del) the option may be either to kill the 
process (Win32 shell command) or a system restart.
	To do such things from the Win32 OS or at an application level, 
you must use the shellapi stuff included with the Cygwin 
distribution.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

> 
> Thanks,
> -Scott Glenn
> 
> 
> --
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Send a message to [email-masked]
> 

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]