Subject: Re: Bug: Cygwin crashes when bash is called repeatedly from a .ba t file
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:35:28 -0500

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 02:14:09PM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
>I found the solution to this problem buried in a very useful Web page
>written by Steve Chamberlain ([email-masked]).  The URL for the Web
>page is:
>     http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/m3doc/linux/text/cygwin/faq.txt
>
>The pertinent parts of the Web page follow:
>...
>Installation
>============
>...
>   For bash, you'll need to create a directory called `/tmp', and put a
>copy of `bash.exe' into `/bin/sh.exe' and `/usr/bin/sh.exe'.
>...
>Bash says that it can't fork (or just hangs) - why ?
>====================================================
>
>   Most often this is because it can't find itself in the path.  Make
>sure that your path includes the directory where bash lives, before you
>start it.
>
>   If you get errors like 'no such file or directory' when you're trying
>to run a shell script, which you know is there, then your problem
>probably that bash can't find `/bin/sh'.
>...
>
>
>Here is my question: If this is a known issue, why doesn't the
>installation GUI go ahead and do the copies for the user?  That would
>have saved me a lot of grief, and I am sure that other people must
>encounter the same problem.

Gee, ya think?  What were we thinking, assuming that we were actually
installing things correctly rather than relying on information from
a five-year-old FAQ located on some odd site that hasn't been updated
in years?

I suggested, in my response to your original email, that you were running
a TEST version of cygwin and that you should upgrade.

Apparently you chose to ignore that advice and, instead, skipped lightly
over the internet, zeroing in on archaic information as the answer to
all of your problems.

For the record, the info that you've quoted is garbage.  I'm quoting
this here, for the record, in the unlikely event that someone will
actually read the mailing list archives and think they've stumbled over
an actual useful nugget of information.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]