Subject: syslogger, NT vs. Win 95
From: Bruce Edge <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin support <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 15:59:17 -0800

After spending some time debugging on both NT and win 95, I have to say, I
like the win 95 method for handling syslog messages much better. Putting the
syslog message text in a file is much more conveniant than having to dig them
out of the NT event loggger.

You can "tail -f" the generated file and view events in pseudo-real-time, just
like in unix, whereas the NT event logger seems to be optimized for systems
that don't generate many events. It's impossible to get a quasi-real-time log
dumped to stdout. One must click on each event to extract the text that was
logged.

I'd like to suggest that the NT event logger mechanism be made into an option
that can be disabled. 
As long as I'm at it, a time stamp in the file would be nice too.

Just my $.02

-Bruce.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]