Subject: What's in a name?
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:58:48 -0500

Under bash I find a variable $MACHTYPE="i686-pc-Cygwin"

That's nice, I thought, because I need to key a load of directory
references depending on whether I'm in Win32 or Cygwin.  HOWEVER,
several installations seem to think it should be "-Cygwin32" when they
build their "/usr/local/???/i686-pc-?????????" subtrees.

And 'config.guess', at least the one I looked at calls 'uname' which
says I have an
"i586" and cannot make any sense out of my configuration at all.

I know that consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds (and mine
shrinks daily with age,) but could we perhaps agree on what to call this
environment?

All this, just to rebuild some simple libraries! :-)
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate.  Public Key
at:
<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
"Don't buy or use crappy software"
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man,
 by my actions a great sinner" -- The Way of a Pilgrim [R. M. French,
tr.]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]