Subject: Re: ediff falsely identifying a difference as white space only
From: Bill Pringlemeir <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: 29 Nov 2000 17:36:03 -0500

>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Irvine <[email-masked]> writes:

 Chuck> I'm trying to use vc-resolve-conflicts using ntemacs (20.7.1)
 Chuck> and Cygwin (1.1.x). First I had to download the newestest
 Chuck> version of ediff because the one that ships with ntemacs
 Chuck> expects a version of diff(3) that accepts the -binary
 Chuck> flag. Diff that comes with Cygwin doesn't accept this
 Chuck> arg. After I installed ediff, I tried to invoke
 Chuck> vc-resolve-conflicts on the attached file (A.java). The ediff
 Chuck> windows came up as expected, highlighting a single
 Chuck> conflict. The problem is that when I moved to this conflict,
 Chuck> ediff outputs in the mode line "Only white-space differences
 Chuck> in region 1 in buffers A & B" which, if you look, isn't the
 Chuck> case.

I have an NT diff.exe that accepts a binary option.  I used the latest
gnudiff source to make the file.  I don't know if that helps you.  I
just looked at the latest ediff source ("ftp.cs.sunysb.edu") and it
looks like they corrected what I just posted about 2-3 hours ago on
this list.

I am not having any problems diffing things now.  I have done diffs
with visual source safe (using a different VC method).  I looked at
some sources to merge VSS support into vc.el and vc-hooks.el, but it
seems to be based on packages before the custom interface (19.34).  I
had it half way there yesterday and then decided that I should merge
it on my Linux system at home.

In any case, I have "cmp.exe, diff.exe, diff3.exe, sdiff.exe" compiled
with mingw that I would mail to you if you like.  Or I can attempt to
diff the source, but I doubt you want to patch and recompile?!?  I
will email them to you if you like.  They are probably more current
than the cygwin stuff.

fwiw,
Bill

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]