Subject: Re: Lp/lpr equiv or how do I print
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Brian Keener <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:35:21 -0500

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 08:01:01AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> IIRC, a2ps builds OOTB -- so do the configure, make, make install thing.
> GhostScript is already pre-built for Win32 -- so do the point and grunt
> thing.

I forgot to recall that one should build and install file before
configuring a2ps since a2ps uses file to determine file types.
file builds OOTB and can be found at:

    ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/file-3.33.tar.gz

> See the first attachment for my PCL version of lpr -- just put it
> somewhere in your PATH.  You will need to modify GS and Printer to
> match your environment.  The last component of Printer should match your
> printer name as it is listed in Control Panel/Printers including spaces.

I just found gsprint which makes my PCL version of lpr much simpler.
See attached for the new version.  Note that you will have to modify
GSPRINT to match your environment.  Also note that my lpr prints to
the default printer only.  If you want to print to a different printer,
then you will have to specify the "-printer" option.

Strangely enough gsprint is not part of Ghostscript, but is part of
GSview.  So, one needs to install GSview too.  GSview can be found at:

    ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/ghostgum/gsv34w32.exe

BTW, using gsprint happens to prevent our print server (which also happens
to be our PDC, file server, VPN server, etc.) from BSODing occasionally
when the printing process is driven by a *remotely* running gswin32c. :,)

> Setting -sOutputFile properly is supposed to stop GhostScript from
> prompting the user for the desired printer.  Unfortunately no matter
> what I specify for the -sOutputFile option, gswin32c prompts for the
> printer even though I only have one defined printer.  Sigh...

Just for completeness, I finally determined that the above only occurs
when the printer is a network (i.e., not a direct) attached printer.  It
seems like gswin32c does not like network printers, hence the occasional
BSODs.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com
--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]