Subject: regtool doesn't support binary data very well
From: David Sainty <[email-masked]>
To: "Cygwin (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "dave @ dtsp (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:06:11 +1300

The regtool command can insert binary data as follows:

$ regtool -m set 'machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\KeyBoard
Layout\Scancode Maps' "xyz"

Each argument is NUL terminated, and the entire value is also NUL
terminated.  This means that there is no way to avoid two NUL's on the end.

But, really, it would be nice to be able to go:

regtool -m set 'machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\KeyBoard
Layout\Scancode Maps' 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 1d 00 3a 00 00 00
00 00

... or something like it.  Possibly with a 0x prefix on each value, and
possibly with a new option to indicate to use this form.  I can achieve what
I want under zsh with the following:

% regtool -m set 'machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\KeyBoard
Layout\Scancode Maps' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' "${(pl:1::::\002:)}" '' ''
"${(pl:1::::\035:)}" "${(pl:1::::\072:)}" '' '' ''

But it's pretty messy :)  I'm happy to provide a patch for this...

Cheers,

Dave

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]