Subject: inetd, rlogin on W95
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:24:50 +0200

First I want to thank Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> for the
good work of porting the inetutils to Cygwin. I have played with it
(on W95, not NT) and has some observations:

1. inetd runs in a console window, I prefer it to run WITHOUT window
   or icon at all (I compile programs with -mwindows without changing
   main to accomplish this goal). Can it be run a service on W9x ?

2. It seems (I'm not sure) that kill -1 <inetd-pid> did not cause inetd
   to reread /etc/inetd.conf. When I killed inetd and restarted it,
   it worked fine.

3. When I did rlogin to a Linux machine with /etc/host.equiv set, it
   worked fine (using the user name, not the uid - which is fixed at
   500 on the W95). When I tried to do the reverse (Linux to Cygwin)
   it did not work (/etc/host.equiv set on the Cygwin box). I did not
   check ~./rhosts (I'll be able to check it only tomorrow). Is it
   known not to work or was I doing something wrong.
   Just to clarify: The rlogind WORKED, the trusting mechanism did not
   work (it started by asking for password).    

4. It seems the services and hosts are taken from the windows directory
   and not form /etc. I can understand it for the hosts which uses only
   general system calls like `gethostbyname' (and may use WINS and DNS).
   The man pages (on Linux) for the services calls like `getservbyname'
   and `getservent' are very specific about /etc/services. There are no
   man pages on Cygwin. The `getservbyname' works, but `getservent' is
   not defined in any library although it is defined in netdb.h.    
       
   There is a minor bug in `getservbyname' - the memeber s_proto which
   should be a string pointer is NOT (on W95). My guess it is a kind of
   flag, it has the value 0x00000051 when there are no aliases to the
   service, and 0x077D0051 when there are aliases.

   I think that implementing independent Cygwin /etc/services should be
   fairly easy and straight forward. It can be conditionally implemented
   using a value in the CYGWIN env variable. I'm willing to help in 
   doing this.

Ehud.

-- 
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544
     @    @ @    @ @  @@    (USA)  Fax  and  voice  mail:  1-815-5509341
     @    @ @    @ @    @        Better     Safe     Than     Sorry
 http://www.simonwiesel.co.il    mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]