Subject: rsync works with 1.1.2 but fails with later Cygwin1.dll versions
From: Rod Whitby <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Nov 2000 19:20:58 +1030

Don't know yet whether this is a problem with rsync or whether it is
due to a change in the Cygwin DLL that rsync hasn't caught up with, or
whether it's a bug in the Cygwin DLL, but anyway here are the symptoms
in case anyone else can reproduce it and help diagnose:

1/ Build rsync version 2.4.6 from source (downloaded directly from
rsync.samba.org) under cygwin DLL version 1.1.2 (it compiles cleanly
out of the box).

2/ Running rsync works when using the 1.1.2 DLL.

3/ Upgrade to Cygwin DLL 1.1.6-1 (I have not permanently installed
1.1.3, 1.1.4 or 1.1.5, because rsync didn't work with any of them
either).

4/ Recompile rsync version 2.4.6 from source under cygwin DLL version
1.1.6-1 (again, it compiles out of the box with no errors).

5/ Running rsync fails when using the 1.1.6-1 DLL.

6/ Uninstall DLL 1.1.6-1 and reinstall 1.1.2

7/ The rsync that was compiled against DLL 1.1.6-1 and which fails
against DLL 1.1.6-1 suddenly starts working under DLL 1.1.2.

8/ All other tools used from step 3 onwards in the compilation or at
run-time are latest according to setup-timestamp: 974860792 (i.e. the
date of this message).  I can't recreate the exact set of tools used
for steps 1 and 2 (as that was done when 1.1.2 was the latest DLL
version).

The failure is strange - it's not a stack dump or anything like that.
Rsync just seems to exit without doing anything.

I can supply cygcheck and strace output to anyone who is interested,
but at the moment I'm really interested to see if anyone has the same
problem or knows a solution or has an idea of something that has
changed between 1.1.2 and 1.1.6-1 which could cause rsync (which
spawns an rsh.exe helper) to fail.

-- 
-- Rod Whitby, Snr Staff Engr, Electronic Design Automation --
-- Motorola Australia Software Centre - Adelaide, Australia --
-- Phone: +61 8 8168 3526, Fax: +61 8 8168 3501, <GMT+9:30> --

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]