Subject: cygwin terminal terminfo description
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:37:34 +0200

I have tested the cygwin terminfo description. I did find the source so
I created one using infocmp. I found, what I think, bug and omissions.
I checked the description by compiling it (tic) on Linux and doing
various tests (Emacs and some that I have written myself). The tests
were done by using telnet (or rlogin, both worked fine) to the Linux
box, without changing the negotiated terminal description. The comments
in square brackets are from the terminfo man page.

I had to drop the boolean xenl [ eat_newline_glitch, newline ignored
after 80 cols (concept) ], it was causing Emacs (and my tests) to
misalign and scroll off the last line (I assume an extra line feed was
sent). Dropping xenl solved this.

My test needed the cud1, cuf1, and cuu1 string capabilities which were
missing. I assumed that the ANSI strings will work, so I added the
followings:

   cub=\E[%p1%dD, [ parm_left_cursor, move left #1 characters (P*) ]
   cub1=\E[D,     [ cursor_left, move left one space ]
   cud=\E[%p1%dB, [ parm_down_cursor, down #1 lines (P*) ]
   cud1=\E[B,     [ cursor_down, down one line ]
   cuf=\E[%p1%dC, [ parm_right_cursor, move right #1 characters (P*) ]
   cuf1=\E[C,     [ cursor_right, non-destructive space
                                  (move right one space) ]
   cuu=\E[%p1%dA, [ parm_up_cursor, up #1 lines (P*) ]
   cuu1=\E[A,     [ cursor_up, up one line ]

This worked fine for me, any corrections to that ?

In my tests I also test blinking which is not defined. I tried to add
   blink=\E[5m,   [ enter_blink_mode ] 
(this works on several ANSI terminals, including Kermit) but it does
not work on cygwin. Is there a blinking option for cygwin ?

Another unrelated question. I compared the termcap of Linux and that
of Cygwin. The Cygwin termcap is much shorter (many terminals are not
included) and some of the terminal descriptions are different. Why is
that ?

Ehud.

-- 
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544
     @    @ @    @ @  @@    (USA)  Fax  and  voice  mail:  1-815-5509341
     @    @ @    @ @    @        Better     Safe     Than     Sorry
 http://www.simonwiesel.co.il    mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]