Subject: Re: Compatibility problem: Cygwin make and makefile filename case
From: Frank Ellert <[email-masked]>
To: "Larry Hall \(RFK Partners Inc\)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:00:21 +0100

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)" <[email-masked]> schreibt:

>>There is a compatibility problem with Cygwin-make and the makefile
>>filename case.  Cygwin-make doesn't accept "MAKEFILE" (but "makefile",
>>"Makefile" or "GNUmakefile") which is treated the same as "makefile"
>>by (at least some) other LFN-aware tools, i.e. Info-ZIP's unzip and
>>DJGPP ls.

>The best response I can give you is that you'll need to provide a specific 
>example along with the output of cygcheck -s -r -v.  Its hard to say whether 
>this is a real problem or a configuration issue without these details.

Please see below.  The system is MS-Windows 98.  Sorry for forgetting
to mention that.

I haven't got a whole Cygwin installation because I don't use it for
developing C source code but for compiling Pascal source code.  The
only parts from the Cygwin project I use are make and the DLL of
course.

Perhaps I didn't explain the problem right.  Make works on my system.
But in some situatuations (example, see my first mail) it doesn't find
a makefile it should find.  IMHO it's only a problem with different
handling of LFN/SFN under Win 95/98.

Frank

-----8<-----

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Tue Nov 21 21:34:35 2000

Win9X Ver 4.10 build 67766446  A 

Path:	/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND
	/cygdrive/c/DOS
	/cygdrive/c/CYGWIN
	/cygdrive/c/BINWIN32
	/cygdrive/c/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/PGP
	/cygdrive/c/PP/BIN/WIN32
	/cygdrive/c/VP21/BIN.W32
	/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/OPENJA~1.3/BIN
	/cygdrive/c/OPENXP
	/cygdrive/c/CYGWIN
	/cygdrive/c/VP21/BIN.W32

SysDir: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
WinDir: C:\WINDOWS

!C: = `C:\tmp'
TMP = `/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/TEMP'
WINBOOTDIR = `C:\WINDOWS'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
TEMP = `/cygdrive/c/DOS'
TZ = `GMT'
PGPPATH = `C:\PGP'
PPC_CONFIG_PATH = `C:\PP\BIN\GO32V2'
WINDIR = `C:\WINDOWS'
BLASTER = `A220 I10 D1'
OS = `win32'
COMPILER = `vpc'
CMDLINE = `cygcheck -s -r -v '
TERM = `cygwin'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\1D

a:  fd           N/A    N/A                    
c:  hd  FAT     1622Mb  71% CP    UN           MS-DOS_6
d:  cd           N/A    N/A                    

Not Found: bash
Not Found: cat
Not Found: cpp (good!)
Found: c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\find.exe
Found: c:\DOS\find.exe
Warning: c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\find.exe hides c:\DOS\find.exe
Not Found: gcc
Not Found: gdb
Not Found: ld
Found: c:\BIN\ls.exe
Found: \bin\ls.exe
Warning: c:\BIN\ls.exe hides \bin\ls.exe
Found: c:\CYGWIN\make.exe
Found: c:\BIN\make.exe
Warning: c:\CYGWIN\make.exe hides c:\BIN\make.exe
Found: c:\PP\BIN\WIN32\make.exe
Warning: c:\CYGWIN\make.exe hides c:\PP\BIN\WIN32\make.exe
Found: \bin\make.exe
Warning: c:\CYGWIN\make.exe hides \bin\make.exe
Not Found: sh

  586k 2000/10/04 c:\CYGWIN\CYGWIN1.DLL - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/8/4 0:53
  451k 2000/10/03 c:\PP\BIN\WIN32\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1999/1/16 5:09
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 21
        dll minor: 0
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 00005
        api major: 0
        api minor: 8
        shared data: 1
        dll identifier: cygwin
        mount registry: 1
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: CYGWIN.DLL setup
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: b15.0
        build date: Sat Jan 16 00:09:28 EST 1999
        snapshot date: 1999-01-15-23:55-EST
        shared id: cygwinS1

Use -h to see help about each section

----->8-----

-- 
"Wer den Swing in sich hat, kann nicht mehr im Gleichschritt
marschieren." Coco Schumann, Jazzer, Überlebender des KZ
Theresienstadt

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]