Subject: Re: Reason for cygwin GCC 2.97 non-bootstrap found
From: Richard Henderson <[email-masked]>
To: Zack Weinberg <[email-masked]>
Cc: Kelley Cook <[email-masked]>, Cygwin mailing list <[email-masked]>, GCC Bugs <[email-masked]>, GCC Patches <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:24:14 -0800

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 03:42:23PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> +#if use_malloc
> +  return (char *) malloc (size);
> +#endif
[...]
> +  return res + offset;

I refuse to believe that there exists any magic size/roundup/offset
combination that *always* returns a full page of aligned memory.

The only semi-decent solution I can think of is to get N*pagesize+C
bytes from malloc, which can then be delivered as N' aligned data pages,
plus a control block of size C to determine when the entire block may
be freed.  N' will normally be N-1, but could accidentally be N.

Moreover, I think the ggc-page mmap optimizations are useful enough
that I do not want to defer everything to an xvalloc or the like.

r~

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]