Subject: Problems with OpenSSH 2.3.0 (was RE: SSHD as a Service)
From: "Erdely, Michael" <[email-masked]>
To: "cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "SSH List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:55:58 -0500

Both a friend of mine and I are experiencing the same problem.
Running on Windows 2000 Pro (and he might even be using server).

I read the readme.  I went into more detail at
http://mike.erdelynet.com/sshd.asp and I followed that set up exactly.

The problem I'm having is: when I'd run "ssh -v localhost", I'd get "bad
packet length" and get disconnected.  It would even stop the inetd service
on the server.
Inetd is running as the SYSTEM account and system.system owns /etc/ssh*.
/etc/ssh_host_key and /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key had only 600 permissions.

The sshd_config had these lines in it:
Protocol 2
HostKey /etc/sshd_host_key
RSAAuthentication no
PasswordAuthentication yes

Here's a weird part: I stopped Inetd.  I installed SRVANY as a service
("SSHD") using SRVINSTW.  I added the appropriate Parameters key in the
registry to call "C:\Cygwin\usr\sbin\sshd.exe" and started the service.  It
worked like a charm.  My main purpose for doing that was, expecting it to
fail, the first few times I ran it, I had the service interact with the
desktop and I used the "-d" switch on the service (since I can't figure out
how to do that with inetd).  But it worked.  No problems at all.

So, I deleted all of the files in the openssh-2.3.0p1.tar.gz package and
installed openssh-2.2.0p1.tar.gz from
ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/openssh/ and
everything works beautifully.

Especially based on the security advisory on Bugtraq about OpenSSH versions
prior to openssh-2.3.0p1, I'd like to get openssh-2.3.0p1 working again.

Ideas,
Mike Erdely
mailto:[email-masked]
http://mike.erdelynet.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Corinna Vinschen
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:39 AM
To: cygwin
Subject: Re: SSHD as a Service

"Erdely, Michael" wrote:
>
> Well, you can use VanDyke's VShell.  I haven't played with it (yet), but
it
> might be what you're looking for.
>
> On the other hand, I've had great success with OpenSSH 2.2.0.  But, lately
> I've been having some problems with OpenSSH 2.3.0.

What problems do you have? Did you read the README? There's a hint about
a change in handling the file permissions.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer                        mailto:[email-masked]
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]