Subject: RE: setup drops mount?
From: "Sprenger, Karel" <[email-masked]>
To: "'DJ Delorie'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:27:43 +0100

Hi,

On Tuesday, November 14, 2000 17:44 DJ Delorie [mailto:[email-masked]]
wrote:
> 
> > That is all very well and fine, but it would be nice of setup to
> > restore my /var mount when it is done.
> 
> The problem is that some packages might put files in /var.  If I
> restored your mount, those files would be inaccessible to cygwin
> programs.
> 

You're right: restoring mounts would lead to trouble.  But what would happen
if setup would honor my /var mount instead of reverting back to the var
subdirectory in the cygwin root?  Or any other mounts for that matter.
That's the nice thing about mounts, isn't it?  That way, the user decides
where things are going to be put.  For eaxample, if my C: drive is filled up
near capacity, I might want to move the /usr/local tree to drive D: and
adjust the mount table.  Then I would also want new stuff to be placed
according to that mount and not in the old place.

> > I mean, who's the boss around here?
> 
> If you use setup, setup is the boss.  Feel free to "tar xvfz" your own
> packages if you don't like the way setup sets up cygwin.
> 

I didn't mean to flame on setup (or its author).  I think setup is a great
tool, but it would be even greater if it would use any existing mounts or at
least inform the user when it decides to ignore them.  

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in this.

Cheers,
Karel

--Karel Sprenger, senior solution specialist
COMPAQ, Professional Services
Mobile: +31 (6) 5178 5034           Home: +31 (20) 670 0942
E-mail: [email-masked]   Private: [email-masked]
"The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas." - Linus
Pauling

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]