Subject: Re: Problem Executing Scripts
From: Jeffrey Gruen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:50:18 -0800

Recently, I downloaded Cygwin-b20 (cygwin-1.1.4.tar) for WindowsNT.  It
has been working just fine until today when we tried to write some very
simple scripts to run.  Below is one such script that runs beautifully
on a dec alpha UNIX machine, but will not run in Cygwin for NT:

#this little script makes back-up of files in a directory
for file in *
do
cp $file $file.bak
done

So far, we have discovered:
1. How to make the file executable in Cygwin (by adding .exe to the end,
since "chmod" does not seem to work very well)

2. That the "*.exe" file must to be in the bin folder in order to run

3. That bash crashes if we make the first line of the script "#!/bin/sh"

(We even tried running:  "echo '#!/bin/sh' > script.exe; ./script", but
this did not work either).

Please help.  How can a make a script file that runs flawlessly in UNIX
run in Cygwin, as well.  The ability to write and execute small scripts
like this would save me much time!

Thanks,
Deborah

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]