Subject: Re: [Perl 5.6] Cpan.pm
From: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>, "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 19:08:05 -0800 (PST)

--- Charles Wilson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Now, since that time, there have been three (five?) more point-releases
> of the cygwin kernel.  Some incorporated the fixes that *previously*
> necessitated the use of a snapshot.  Some incorporated further
> improvements that either broke "stupid perl workarounds" or created the
> possibility of improved perl operation if we took advantage of them.
> 
> There are a number of "post-perl-5.6.0" patches that you need in order
> to build perl with a *new* cygwin dll (1.1.4 or 1.1.5).  You may safely
> ignore the babble about "cygwin-inst-whatever" and
> "cygwin1.dll-whatever".
> 

I don't know why you say this.  I built perl-5.6.0 just yesterday with
yesterday's snapshot.  Albeit, my build was static using static libraries of
gdbm and no ipc.

> I've posted the patches to this list previously; search the archives....
> 

I didn't use them.  As a matter of fact I modified the cygwin.c source to
remove the cwd coding and that worked fine.  I need to take a look at your
patches to see what you did.

> > 
> > CYGWIN=binmode tty ntea nontsec
> 

I don't even have CYGWIN set.

> 
> I replaced /bin/sh.exe with a copy of /bin/bash.exe.
> 

I use the normal /bin/sh.exe == ash.

One other thing that I've done is to make sure that _WIN32 and WINNT aren't
defined by default.  I.E.: I changed Chris' addition of -mno-win32 to -mwin32
and defined unix, _unix, __unix and __unix__ just in case.  Probably unix would
have been enough.  Also, when specifying -mwin32 my specs don't define the unix
macros.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:[email-masked]

---         <http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com>         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows <http://gw32.freeyellow.com/> ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows <http://www.mingw.org/>   ---

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Thousands of Stores.  Millions of Products.  All in one Place.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]