Subject: RE: setup.exe aborting at the end of an update
From: "Andre Oliveira da Costa" <[email-masked]>
To: "DJ Delorie" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:36:21 -0200

> Well, you could download a snapshot (not recommended) or pull the
> sources for cygwin from an install (but you might not get the latest).
>
> CVS is certainly the recommended way, and using "cvs diff" provides
> patches that are very easy for us to apply.

To be honest, RCS has always been enough for me, and for that reason I've
been delaying getting into CVS. I guess the time has come to evolve.
However, for this particular problem, I might take a snapshot, hoping that I
will get to some results earlier.

> If you're running the latest setup, one of the dialogs asks for the
> local directory to use.  It's there.

You mean the "select install root directory" prompt? It points to c:\cygwin,
and Windows' "find" command reports there are no .ini files under this tree.

> It might be on your desktop if you ran setup right off the web page.

I checked, it's not there either. Where is this little devil hiding? =T

> No, the tarballs aren't there.  Those are listings of installed files
> (*.gz).  Tarballs are *.tar.gz.

S*t! Sorry for this stupid overlook. It only took me a find for *.tar.gz to
see where the latest tarballs were copied to. Running setup.exe from this
directory and choosing "Install from current dir" bombs *exactly* the same
way -- including the hex numbers reported.

> No, setup is supposed to "just work".  We address FAQs by changing
> setup, not by obscure documentation.

Ok. Guess I will have to keep troubling you, then...

Best,

Andre Costa

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]