Subject: Re: ssh, ncurses and xemacs (was Re: sshd, xemacs and termcap)
From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
To: David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Oct 2000 15:00:00 +0100

David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]> writes:

> On  23 Oct 00, Henry S. Thompson writes:
> > _But_, when running xemacs, backspace or delete hard suspends xemacs
> > and trash its terminal state.  Problem appears to be that in going to
> > raw mode, susp (and lots of other things) are set to ^?.  This isn't a 
> > problem from a local terminal, because the relevant keys don't
> > generate that code, but when coming in via ssh they do.
> > 
> > This feels like a bug in ncurses, with some things getting set to -1
> > (== \177 when masked) which shouldn't, but a fairly detailed look at
> > the ncurses sources doesn't reveal anything.
> 
> I don't know much about ncurses, termcap, terminfo and all that stuff,
> but I found that I could compile xemacs-21.1.12 OOTB *without* any
> additional ncurses library.  I don't notice any loss of functionality
> with 'xemacs -nw'.  (But I hardly ever use it, and possibly not the
> same way you do.)  Might be worth a try?

Thanks, I'll try, but note my problem _only_ arises when using 'xemacs 
-nw' via ssh from a remote site.

ht
-- 
  Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
          W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
     2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
		     URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]