Subject: Re: rxvt SEGV (Win98, 1.1.5s/2000-10-08)
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:05:32 -0400

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 11:38:55AM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>>  Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
>>  From: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
>>  
>>  The best way to help is to get the CVS source and build it (it
>>  takes ~30 minutes on my PII Compaq armada to do the make).  The
>>  new-cygwin1.dll that is produced contains debugging symbols and is
>>  about 3.5M large.  You'll copy this to the cygwin1.dll in the bin
>>  directory.  Then using common debugging methods figure out what's
>>  wrong.  If you use strace be sure to use the most recent version as
>>  some bug fixes to strace itself have occurred.
>
>Surely you're not asserting that "using common debugging methods [to]
>figure out what's wrong" within the complex internals of Cygwin is an
>easy task.

It can be.  When you run the program under a debugger, you should be
able to see the instruction causing the (I assume) SIGSEGV.  That
should provide an incredible clue.

>In fact, we have a developer here who did that a couple years ago and
>sent a whole slew of fixes to the Cygwin maintainers to various race
>conditions which manifested themselves on MP machines.  His opinion is
>that the Cygwin developers have always been a bit sloppy about
>handling the issues that arise on MP machines.  He has also asserted
>that debugging Cygwin internals is very hard, certainly not something
>that can be done easily "using common debugging methods."

I don't recall any such patches.  I'm usually very grateful for patches
of any kind.

I do take great exception to the "sloppy" allegation.  You are actually
trying to work with us right?  It doesn't take a PHD in psychology to
understand that this is an incredibly poor way to ask for help.

As I previously indicated, I use an SMP machine and have done so since I
started working on Cygwin.  I am painfully aware of MP issues.

>Short of becoming a Cygwin expert, is there anything I can do to make
>it possible for the people who are already Cygwin experts to debug
>this problem?

The details were in my previous email.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]