Subject: Re: Treatment of x:path again
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:57:44 +0200

Hi Lassi,

Lassi A. Tuura wrote:
> FWIW, it seems this isn't even possible under Win32.  Based on MSDN docs
> it sounds like Win32 maintains only one current directory and really
> knows nothing about disk drives in that context.

Indeed, a simple test on NT4/SP6 using only Win32 functions
SetCurrentDirectory() and GetCurrentDirectory() confirms that Windows
itself does not care about drives in this context.

> It is only cmd.exe that maintains an illusion of a current
> directory for all the drives on Windows NT and 2000.

Actually I have seen code in Borland's runtime that maintains the
illusion of a per-drive current directory.  This of course is in runtime
functions like chdir() and getcwd() and similar ones.  I assume
Microsoft's runtimes do the same.  Cygwin's, as we have heard, doesn't
(understandably (sp?)).  Neither does the internal Tcl runtime BTW.

so long, benny
-- 
ISION Internet AG
Benjamin Riefenstahl
mailto:[email-masked]

Ruhrstrasse 61
D-22761 Hamburg
http://www.ision.net

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]