Subject: Re: distribution suggestion
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:35:56 -0400

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 09:29:11PM -0400, Jasmin Patry wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 04:02:27PM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Jasmin,
>> 
>> I see that you would like to use MinGW to build tuxracer.  Have you
>> accomplished this before?  I.E. Does it work on WinNT 4 and not W2K?  Which
>> were you using crtdll or msvcrt?
>
>I used the mingw32 cross-compiler (running under Linux), which I
>obtained from here:
>
>    http://www.libsdl.org/Xmingw32/
>
>Perhaps that version is out of date.  The resulting executables worked
>fine under 98 (and NT, I think, though I didn't test that myself), but
>either crashed on startup, or intermittently (it seemed to vary with
>different builds of tuxracer) when run under w2k.  I'm not sure which of
>crtdll or msvcrt I was using -- how can I tell?

If you have something like an i386-pc-cygwin-objdump or ix86-cygwin-objdump
or some variation thereof, then you can use the -p option to give you
all of the dlls that an executable is using.

If you send the specific error that you received here, we'll try to help
you.

Actually, if you want to make a version available for me to download
I'm sure that people here will help debug it.

tux racer looks like a cool game.  I'd like to see it succeed.

>Earlier attempts to compile under Win2k using -mno-cygwin resulted in
>non-functional executables (they would bomb out right away with a status
>access violation or some such thing -- it's been a while so I don't
>remember).  Given the problems that arise with distributing the Cygwin
>DLL, I'll renew my attempts at getting this to work.

I think that's the best solution.  If you can get it to be built with
one less DLL that's a good thing.  I'm partial to cygwin but only when
it makes sense.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]