Subject: Re: getopts missing with latest cygwin
From: Chet Ramey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:14:22 -0400

> > Worse than useless :-)
> 
> Sigh, I guess I'm just going to have to respond with hard proof, since
> everyone who's saying "it can't work!" never bothered to find out what
> that kind of program really does.

You're confusing getopt(1), which appears in SVR2-based systems, and
getopts(1), the subject of this discussion.

Your description of getopt(1) is correct, but not really relevant.  That
program has problems of its own, like quoting arguments containing
whitespace.  That issue, and others, is what inspired the implementation
of getopts(1), which first appeared in the SVR3 sh.

-- 
``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer
( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet)

Chet Ramey, CWRU    [email-masked]    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]