Subject: Re: BUG: Invalid assumption about file paths beginning with '\'
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:44:08 -0400

At 12:34 PM 10/10/2000, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > > > I would have thought that the whole point of the CygWin project was
> > >
> > >... to make Windows look like a POSIX/Unix environment, so that it
> > >would be easy to port existing GNU tools to it without having to teach
> > >all those tools how to behave like Windows programs.
> > 
> > And what would be the advantage of that?!;-)
>
>Cygnus (now Red Hat) sells custom versions of the GNU tools, which run
>on, among other things, Windows.  Creating Cygwin was the fastest way
>to get those tools onto Windows.  Purely selfish, I admit, but the
>truth.
>
>Since then, many other reasons have come up for having Cygwin work
>this way.

Thanks DJ for answering my inappropriate attempt at sarcasm with a concise
response that really does explain the motivation behind the genesis
of Cygwin.  Be assured, I see the advantages!:-)

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]