Subject: Re: BUG: Invalid assumption about file paths beginning with '\'
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:32:42 -0400

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 04:47:36PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
>Cygwin version B18 (I think!)
>
>I am using the CygWin GAWK program and have been trying to use absolute path
>names for both the script file and input file. I find that I can only used
>absolute paths if they start with a drive letter. After some rooting through the
>documentation I found that CygWin maps Windows paths to POSIX paths by
>converting the drive letter to a folder name. The trouble begins when the drive
>letter is missing.
>
>The default 'mount' for '\' is 'c:\', so my absolute paths that don't have a
>drive letter are taken as being on drive c: rather than on the current working
>drive.
>
>OK, so I could change the mount for '\' to whatever drive I am using.
>Unfortunately, I can't because I am using gawk inside a makefile that can be run
>on a networked drive mounted as an arbitrary drive letter by any number of
>users. (If I could get the current working drive letter into a makefile macro I
>could solve the problem by an other means, but I can't and, in any respect, the
>problem reveals an assumption in CygWin's DOS\Windows path mapping to POSIX.)
>
>Please consider changing the CygWin file path mapping schema to utilise the
>current working drive rather than a default.

You are many revisions behind.  I believe that B18 was released in 1998.

We've obviously moved ahead since then.

So, either upgrade your version of cygwin or live with the problem.  It is
extremely unlikely that anyone will be able or willing to help you with
ancient versions of cygwin.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]