Subject: Re: Has CR/LF and cat problem with textutils-2.0 been solved?
From: Chet Ramey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:03:45 -0400

> >How about a bug report?  Or maybe an email?  I don't read this list
> >very often, so, unless I get mail about it, `waiting patiently' is
> >probably not going to get the job done.
> 
> I wasn't referring to you.  We have a person who produces cygwin bash
> binaries for distribution.  It's his "job" to interface with you and
> make sure that patches are sent your way.  Unfortunately, he has
> disappeared from view so we're stuck with the usual grousing, confusion,
> endless re-explanation, that people enjoy so much rather than having
> someone step forward to actually fix the problem and make a new binary
> release.

``Every day, the same old dizzy dance.''

> I know that you could easily fix the problem but I don't expect you to
> produce a new bash tar.gz file.
> 
> >Now, do you want all '\r's stripped, or \r\n translated to \n when
> >reading command substitution output?
> 
> \r\n -> \n.

OK, bash-2.05 will do that.

> Or maybe we should just have backticks delete all of the files on the
> machine that begin with "q" when a \r\n is detected.  People seem to
> like to discuss and theorize and agonize about this and this would
> certainly provide fuel for discussion.

Why not just remove csh? ;-)

Chet

-- 
``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer
( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet)

Chet Ramey, CWRU    [email-masked]    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]