Subject: Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior
From: "Erik Nolte" <[email-masked]>
To: "Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:26:20 -0600

> I can successfully `cd c:/temp' from the bash prompt so that itself
> isn't a problem.  You mention that you have CDPATH set, what is it set to?
If
> CDPATH itself contains a ":" character it is used as a list separator, so
DOS
> paths can't exist in CDPATH unless the "\" quoting character precedes the
":".

I have a CDPATH of UNIX-style directories:

.:/w//src/com/pipeline:/w/:/w//src:/w//docs:/w//src/html:/w//src/com/pipelin
e/ab

m:/w//src/com/pipeline/ad:/w//src/com/pipeline/addrbk:/w//src/com/pipeline/a
dmin

:/w//src/com/pipeline/aio:/w//src/com/pipeline/alert:/w//src/com/pipeline/ap
plic
    ations:/w//src/com/pipeline/awt:/w//src/com/pipeline/bom

B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.

Try this:

    export CDPATH=/c:/d
    cd d:/
    <you should just see the command prompt>

then try:

    export CDPATH=/c:/d:.
    cd d:/
    <you should see "d:" and then the command prompt on the next line>

The question is why does adding "." to CDPATH cause "d:/" to be interpreted
as a relative path?

- Erik

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]