Subject: Re: gmake is slow under cygwin
From: Gabriel Zachmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:49:19 +0200

] --- Gabriel Zachmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
] > 
] > Any ideas or insights will be highly appreciated,
] > Gab.
] > 
] 
] Any virus scanners running?  See the FAQ.
] 

(Hm, the FAQ didn't say that a virus scanner could incur a performance
penalty, it just said that it might prevent cygwin from functioning ;-)

Ok, I switched McAffee off.
But that reduced execution time only by about 1 sec:
-  with mcaffee running: real time = 7.4 sec, user time = 3.1 sec;
-  mcaffee not running: real = 6 sec, user time = 2.8 sec

That still seems pretty slow for just a few 100 lines of makefiles,
doesn't it?

Cheers,
Gab.

-- 
/---------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Paradigm is a word too often used by those                          |
| who would like to have a new idea                                   |
| but cannot think of one.                                            |
|                     (Mervyn King, Deputy Governor, Bank of England) |
|                                                                     |
| [email-masked]          [email-masked]        [email-masked] |
| www.igd.fhg.de/~zach/    www.gab.cx        __@/'                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]