Subject: gmake is slow under cygwin
From: Gabriel Zachmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:41:05 +0200

Does some kind soul have any idea,
why gmake (3.79) is so slow under cygwin (vers 1.1.4).
The machine is a dual P3/600MHz with Windows2000.
All the makefiles are on a local drive (about 800 lines total),
and I'm making a very simple target, which just prints some makefile
variables.

Maybe the problem is not gmake itself, mnaybe it's cygwin,
maybe its win2000, maybe ...

What's funny is that cygwin's 'time' command tells me that, for instance,
user time is only 1.5 sec but real time is 10 sec!
But on our unix boxes (which have slower processors) make is much faster.

I have one target, which just echo's some 20 makefile variables,
and one can actually *see* each line being echo'ed ...

The cygwin installation itself was done with the setup.exe,
and I don't recall any problems or err messages.

Any ideas or insights will be highly appreciated,
Gab.

-- 
/---------------------------------------------------------------------\
| What if you slept?  And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed?        |
| And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a  |
| strange and beautiful flower?  And what if, when you awoke,         |
| you had the flower in your hand?  Ah, what then?        (Coleridge) |
|                                                                     |
| [email-masked]          [email-masked]        [email-masked] |
| www.igd.fhg.de/~zach/    www.gab.cx        __@/'                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]